Bronze lamp era Napolean chateau venes Tarn13th century chateau near Albi, Tarntapestry, renaissance Italian, detail, chateau veneswindows in the south west tower chateau venesantique clock face

The history of Chateau Venes - 1. The Lords

knightsAll the lords of Venes are known since 1135 when the lordship of Venes was attributed to Amélius Sicard, viscount of Lautrec. It remained in the Lautrec family up to the 15th century.
Gabriel de Lorges, count of MontgomeryIn 1420, Philippe II de Lautrec sold Venes to Hugues de Caraman.  His successor and son, Guillaume, had only one daughter (Aldonce) who married in 1518, her cousin Jean de Foix-Caraman.  Their only daughter, Marguerite, married Jean de Bernuy, son of the famous pastel dealer of Spanish origin, who left in Toulouse, the magnificent mansion bearing his name.   Jean de Bernuy was cleverer marrying his only daughter Aldonce to a member of a prominent family Guy de Castelnau, count of Clermont Lodève.  Widowed, she re-married Jacques de Montgomery, the governor of Castres and son of Gabriel de Lorges, count of Montgomery who accidentally killed the king Henri II in a joist tournament.

(Gabriel de Lorges, Count of Montgomery)

Deceased before her husband, Aldonce de Bernuy, countess of Montgomery, bequeathed the castle to her son Alexandre de Castelnau, born from her first wedding with the Count of Clermont.  Jacques de Montgomery, who wished to keep the castle, disputed the ownership of Venes. The Count of Clermont refused to cede and, with the support of the king, was granted satisfaction. 

His family owned Venes during all of the 17th century.


(King Henri II)

Louis de Guilhem, Count of Clermont, Baron of Venes died in 1692 and bequeathed his properties by will to the Marquis of Caylus.  His widow, Jeanne d’Albert de Luynes, refused to surrender the castle and took possession of the Clermont’s property. It took until 1753 with a court decision from Paris, for the de Caylus to recover the property.   François-Joseph de Caylus was the last lord before the Revolution.

Entrance to the south west tower During the Revolution, the government confiscated all the properties from the family 'Caylus’.  Under the Restauration, the properties were returned to the Caylus. The domain of Venes was divided in three parts in 1819 and the castle sold to Holmière in 1820 who restored the castle keeping the neo-gothic spirit.


(Entrance to the South West tower from the interior courtyard of Chateau Venes)